Re: Mail folder format(s)

1997-04-17 04:11:00
revjack(_at_)radix(_dot_)net writes on 16 April 1997 at 23:47:35
On Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:58:43 +0100, Nevel, Simeon wrote:

: >From:       revjack(_at_)Radix(_dot_)Net
:
: >What is the message separator in a standard unix mail folder? All I
: >see between messages in folders is a blank line, and I don't know of
: >[...]
:
: AFAIK, "standard" Unix mail folders (aka MBOX or Berkeley Mail folders)
: are simply a file
: containing the concatenation all the messages in the "folder."  The
: standard separator is
: a "From " line (NOT a "From:" line).

But but but, what if a message contains a paragraph that starts with
the word "From "?

I typed "From the halls of Montezuma" preceded and followed by a blank

the "standard" UNIX "solution"is for the MTA (usually sendmail) to
change 'From ' to '>From ' in message bodies.

Personally, I'd prefer to use MIME quoted-printable encoding which
does the same type of thing ('=46rom') but also lets you display the