Re: Mime processing

1997-04-21 06:53:00
Anders Eriksson <Anders(_dot_)C(_dot_)Eriksson(_at_)telia(_dot_)se> writes:
I sent this to the exmh maillist earlier, this might be a better plase to ask.

Not really.

Question:
Is there a way to preprocess a mail on a mime basis? I know procmail is
great for insertion and extraction of individual headers etc. but how do I
pre process e.g. an application/xxx part?

I would like to be able to filter each part individually (e.g. making gifs
out of jpgs) and add parts as I like (e.g. change a postscript part into a
multipart/alternative with the postscript and a created pdf part).

Through some mechanism (be it procmail or a hook in exmh), feed the
message into a perl script, using the MIME::* and Mail::* modules to
parse it, then iterate across the components doing your
transformations.  procmail has no builtin 'support' for MIME beyond the
fact that it's 8-bit clean.

Philip Guenther