Re: Problems creating and writing to mailbox.

1997-04-21 17:20:00
"Timothy Brush" <flatline(_at_)bc(_dot_)sympatico(_dot_)ca> writes:
      I'm having a problem with this situtation...

      I have 30,000-50,000 email users.  I want to setup their mailboxs like:

      /var/mail/users/0/00/maildir/mailbox

      The maildir holds about 100 users.  Each user has the proper directory
as their home directory in /etc/passwd.  I hacked Qpopper to allow for mailbox
delivery, but I'm having problems configuring procmail to write to the
mailbox.  I've create a .procmailrc and .forward file for all directories.

I'd suggest that you get the very latest procmail (pre6 at last count)
which uses a new more configurable method of finding the default
mailbox: you can write the method in C.  It comes with optional code to
support the (builtin qpopper) style

        /var/mail/g/u/guenther

by defining MAILSPOOLHASH to 2.  Defining it to 3 would give you mailboxes of

        /var/mail/g/u/e/guenther

etc.  Is that enough splaying?

Philip Guenther