Re: Pipeline or !...

1997-04-21 16:42:00
randc <randc(_at_)flex(_dot_)com> writes:
Pardon me for jumping in and asking a real dumb question.  My ISP just
changed the e-mail forwarding for virtual domaines from some internal
system to Procmail.  As part of this he wrote a script which created a
.procmailrc file which purportedly does what the other system did.  I
wanted to make a few changes and looked at the various Procmail references.
Reviewing his script, I noticed that he was using an ! (exclaimation point
- Shift -1) instead of a | (pipeline - shift \).  To date my changes have
had no effect, at least to my eye, at all.  I have been using a pipe.  Am I
wrong?  Is there a version of promail which uses an ! instead?  Sorry for
the stupid question, I am a bit confused...

Avoid changing things when confused: computers are unable to read your
mind when you're not confused; being confused will only make it worse.

You should change them back.  To quote the procmailrc(5) manpage:

  Recipe action line
     The action line can start with the following characters:

     !    Forwards to all the specified mail addresses.

     |    Starts the specified program, possibly in $SHELL if any
          of  the  characters  $SHELLMETAS  are spotted.  You can
          optionally prepend this  pipe  symbol  with  variable=,
          which  will  cause stdout of the program to be captured
          in the environment variable.  If you specify just  this
          pipe  symbol,  without  any program, then procmail will
          pipe the mail to stdout.

An action of:

        ! foo(_at_)bar(_dot_)com

is roughly (but *not* exactly) equivalent to:

        |$SENDMAIL $SENDMAILFLAGS foo(_at_)bar(_dot_)com

Philip Guenther