Re: Using alias to forward?

1997-05-06 17:43:00
Chad Cotton <ccotton(_at_)psnw(_dot_)com> writes:
I am a newbie to procmail, and can't seem to figure it out.  I was told by
the good people at BEST Internet (best.com) that I could use it to solve
my problem.

Here's the scenario:

I have a domain hosted there.  Mail sent to "anybody(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com"
gets
put into one mailbox.  I want to allow people to send mail to
"johndoe(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com" and have it automatically forwarded to
"johndoe(_at_)theirdomain(_dot_)com".  Can anybody tell me what files are
needed
where to make this work?

The first thing you should do is ask the good people at best.com how
the *envelope* *recipient* address(es) are saved.  In order to do what
you want to do, you need the envelope recipient address that caused the
message to be delivered to your single domain-wide mailbox.  Once you
have them tell you where to find that, pass it on to the list.  Without
that information, it's impossible to do.  If they say, "fwuh?" or "just
look at the headers", then the information is probably not saved, and
won't be able to do this, though in the latter case, I would suggest
that you insist that the answer is *wrong* and that you want to talk to
someone more knowledgeable.

Philip Guenther