Re: Does EXITCODE really fight spam?

1997-05-20 10:45:00
On Tue, 20 May 1997, Bill Moseley wrote:

Does bouncing email messages by setting EXITCODE really do any good in
fighting spam?  It seems like so much of the spam is forged that bouncing
the email won't really get back to the offending system.  Would you agree
that this doesn't help much and may cause more headaches for the system
that was forged?

Using a REPLY recipe doesn't work in this case, however, EXITCODE WILL WORK
to return the msg., as the SMTP headers 'attached' to the msg. still show
where the msg. REALLY came from, and it's returned to that address.

I tried forging a msg. w/pseudo-spam in it to myself, which procmail told
the receiving mailer to return, and it did nicely...  To where it REALLY was
mailed from.

-Now, if the real address is either never read, or is faked via an SMTP
system that the SPAMMER ITSELF runs, then it'll not likely do any good...
But I do think it'll return the majority, and I use it myself now for just
that now that I've gotten the 'fix' for my .forward file for this NFS turkey
that my acct. is on.