Re: SHELL questuions..

1997-05-30 01:39:00
"Robert" == Robert Nicholson <steffi2(_at_)dgs(_dot_)dgsys(_dot_)com>
writes:

Robert> OK, my ISP had the /bin/false for the shells on the password
Robert> databse for the mailserver. They don't want to support logins
Robert> on the mailserver. How can they keep procmail happy and still
Robert> use /bin/false a a users login shell on the mail server?

Robert> Why is it necessar yfor a user to have a shell on the mail
Robert> server? My procmailrc specifies a SHELL

It's one of sendmail's security features. IIRC, sendmail will refuse
to run programs for a user without a valid shell.

If they add a line
/SENDMAIL/ANY/SHELL/
to /etc/shells, it should work. (From memory, I don't have the docs here.)

--
Guy Geens <ggeens(_at_)iname(_dot_)com>
Home Page: http://www.elis.rug.ac.be/~ggeens