Re: mime-decode.rc

1997-05-30 07:40:00
Roderick Schertler <roderick(_at_)argon(_dot_)org> writes:
On Wed, 28 May 1997 18:41:09 +0300 (EET DST), era eriksson
<era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> said:
On Wed, 28 May 1997 11:27:45 -0400,
Roderick Schertler <roderick(_at_)argon(_dot_)org> wrote:
There are two problems with yours:  It doesn't allow spaces before
the colon (easily fixed), [...]

RFC822 doesn't permit whitespace before the colon, does it?

That last time I read it I thought it did.  Looking now I think I was
wrong, the bit saying that space is allowed anywhere between lexical
tokens is in the section on structured field bodies, and we're not
talking about field bodies.

The current concensus of the DRUMS working group is that rfc822 was not
clear enough on this, but that whitespace and comments occuring between
the field name and the colon are an obsolete syntax that son-of-rfc822
conforming applications MUST correctly parse.  However, conforming
applications MUST NOT generate such headers.  Take that as you will...

Philip Guenther