Re: It's getting worse

1997-06-05 13:30:00
wwgrol(_at_)sparc01(_dot_)fw(_dot_)hac(_dot_)com (W. Wesley Groleau x4923)
writes:
Just I few minutes ago I got

  mailtool is confused about the state of your
  mail file.  Please exit mailtool and restart it.

It's a known bug in mailtool.  To quote the procmail FAQ:

16. My mailtool sometimes reports that it is confused about the state of
    the mailbox, or I get "Couldn't unlock" errors from procmail now and then,
    or sometimes it simply seems to hang just when new mail arrives.

        This is a known bug in the OpenLook mailtool.  It holds on to the
        kernel lock on the mail-spoolfile most of the time, and releases
        this lock when it shouldn't.  Either ask for a bugfix from your
        vendor (I'm not sure if a bugfix exists), or make sure that during
        the compilation of procmail both the fcntl() and lockf() locking
        methods are disabled (see config.h).

As long as you're recompiling, you should probably upgrade to 3.11pre7,
availible from ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de:/pub/packages/procmail/

Philip Guenther