Re: Trying to locate the source of an error (VERY LONG)

1997-06-05 13:39:00
"Matthew G. Saroff" <msaroff(_at_)pca(_dot_)net> writes:
      As per the suggestion, I will include the entire recipe that
seems to be troublesom.  I will also include the one immediately prior,
just in case that it's that one causing the problem, which I doubt.
#this is the problem recipe
# LLV (Softfacts, Inc.)
:0:
* ^(From.|Reply-To:|Message-ID:|Received:).*[^0-9A-Za-z](205\.254\.16[4-7]|\
         1daystar\.com|\
         ak-marketing\.com|\
    <150 lines of continued conditions elided>
         wobat\.com|\
         worldseriesodds\.com|\
         wtcwwide\.com|\
         wthomas\.com|\
         wweagles\.com|\
         wwwservis\.com|\
         zasoftsales\.com|\
         zeecom\.com)
| $FORMAIL -A"X-SpamBouncer: Spam" >>$SPAMFOLDER

To quote the procmailrc(5) manpage:

     LINEBUF     Length of the internal line buffers,  cannot  be
                 set  smaller  than 128.  All lines read from the
                 rcfile should  not  exceed  $LINEBUF  characters
                 before  and  after expansion.  If not specified,
                 it defaults to 2048.

Those 160 lines of condition are almost certainly overflowing LINEBUF.
You should either a) use one of the innumerable recipes sent to the
list demonstrating the use of fgrep; b) break it into multiple recipes;
or c) increase LINEBUF.  If you modify this list of domains regularly,
then you should strongly consider (a), as (b) and (c) just put off it
happening again.

Philip Guenther