Re: (\>|)

1997-06-05 14:00:00
ddave(_at_)ddave(_dot_)com wrote,

| If I gather what you're saying, a simple \> is sufficient?

In your situation, where \> is at the end of the regexp, yes, because a new-
line in the text will match \> in the regexp, so (\>.*)?$ is not necessary.
If the condition had more text after the "$" (to test what is on the next
line, for example), the two would not be equivalent.

| Is it a good idea to replace white spaces with [      ] with a tab inside?

That depends on whether you want to allow for tabs as well as spaces.  Is
there a chance that people will actually type a tab instead of a space
between "join" or "subscribe" and the name of the list (or the word "list"
if you meant it literally)?  Is there a chance that their mailers will insert
a tab rather than a space after the colon of "Subject:"?  I'd answer yes to
the latter, but as to the former you know your subscribers better than I do.

DWT