Re: SPAM>Exclusive AOL Mailing Service... 1.25 Million a Month! (fwd)

1997-06-10 02:20:00

"forgive me, for I have sinned..."

At 01:10 AM 6/10/97 -0400, Russell W. Behne wrote:

Spam bouncer *IS* a procmail filter script. It can't run without procmail, as
you would have discovered had you taken the time to read the web page, since

As everyone would have known without having to take the time to visit the
web page if you'd mentioned that in one of the first three of your four
_consecutive_ messages which cited the same URL.  I must apologize for not
taking the time to read the fourth - after all, I did read the first three.

I posted in haste hoping to cut off what most certainly appeared to be the
beginning of posting the same material for every complaint about spam back
to the dawn of spamkind.

It was indeed my mistake for referring to the multiple directly-addressed
recipients as "elsewhere".  Seeing the To: plus three carbons on that first
message threw a warning buzzer for me.

It *IS* "what the readers here are looking for" in procmail recipes for
filtering out spam.

And I humbly stand corrected, now that it has been stated that it is indeed
a procmail script and not one of the several PC programs out there for
Spambashing (which from the brevity of your description of it, is what it
sounded like to me).

(And you misspelled "favored", perhaps you're using a
Microsoft spelling checker.)

I use no such thing - in my line of work, spell checkers trip up on
entirely too many computer constructs.  Or offer corrections on quoted text
(though to it's credit, the few times I've used the spellcheck in Eudora
Pro, I've found that it apparently skips quoted material).

As for "misspelled" - something perhaps not enough people on the net seem
to realize is that not everyone received all of our grade school education
in the States - there are different, and perfectly _correct_ ways of
spelling some words.  Now, I did misspell 'elsewhere' later in the message
(dropped the 'w' if you didn't notice) - but that has it's roots in a
broken left index finger which is rather bothersome at times (handy
pointer: never sever your finger, especially an index finger, it's a real
pain).  If the spelling doesn't convey the meaning, I fear my pronunciation
of some of these words will pose a problem too.

I just checked, and the OED refers to it as the chief spelling (favour) --
what I presume is your "proper" spelling of it takes second billing - out
of lexicographical order even.  The _American_ Heritage Dictionary III
lists it, as does the New Merriam-Webster, although being publications of
the American strain of the language, they show it as a British variant.

We're both guilty of not checking the available references before letting
our fingers do the walking: I didn't check your URL, and you didn't check
the dictionary.

No reply is warranted or wanted.

Speak for yourself. People asked, I replied.

I believe most would have read that as "no need to turn THIS message into a
flamewar", which is how I meant it, not that a judicious post of a URL
wasn't warranted or wanted by the people who could use it.

But since *YOU*, in your terse arrogance, don't want to continue this
discussion, I edited the header so that only the list will receive this. And
that, so that the misunderstanding you may have caused can be corrected.

There's that personal angle again.  Terseness just comes off looking like
arrogance.  As this message can attest - I think most people would much
rather I was terse than verbose, and that the discussion isn't carried
further.  It's called a flame war - and I haven't even resorted to cracking
open the acetylene.

And honest - thanks for not carboning me on it - as a subscriber to the
list I ofttimes find it annoying to get two copies of posts - one list, and
one cc.

P.S. - Sorry if I didn't make it clear in my previous replies that Spam
bouncer is really a group of procmail recipes; just what many of you have
been asking for.

Point taken.  Shall we move on then?

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395