I am *failing* to de-dupe an existing folder...

1997-06-11 04:55:00
I'm trying to use formail/procmail to "de-dupe" an existing Pine "folder"

I was trying to take the mail folder etherbun and put the de-duped
results in mail folder dedupe.

Here's what I used on the command line to invoke formail/procmail:

    formail -s procmail .testrc <etherbun

Here is .testrc:

    LOGFILE=$HOME/proclog

    #straight out of procmailex
    #
    :0 Wh: msgid.lock
    | formail -D 32768 msgid.cache

    #anything that gets to here goes to folder dedupe
    #
    :0:
    dedupe

The "interesting" thing is that the de-duped folder is *much* bigger than
the original??!!!!

    -rw-------  1 snevel   11711071 Jun 10 18:41 dedupe
    -rw-r--r--  1 snevel    4944236 Jun 10 16:23 etherbun

Is there something that I've missed?  I seem to have *created* more
messages.  Assuming that there is a one-to-one relations between
to dedupe when there were only 2409 messages (with 51 duplicates) in
etherbun.

    % grep Message-Id: etherbun | wc -l
        2409
    % grep Message-Id: dedupe | wc -l