Re: Problems with FORMAIL

1997-06-17 07:51:00

Does anyone run/house their mail server on a machine that can only be
logged on by a few system administrator?  The way we have our system set
up here is to restrict access to certain machines via different default
shells.  For instance, .tcsh-faculty can log into more machines than
.tcsh-students.  As a system administrator, I have access to all machines
and have noticed formail working just fine on my account.  It does not
seem to work on a dummy student account I have setup.  I can run formail
fine from the command line to manipulate message, but not from procmail.
I do not see any errors in the .procmail/log with verbose on, but files
are not created as they should be.

First of all sorry for the last posting.  Obviously my fingers went too
fast.

To your problem: I had a similar one.  On our Mailserver all users exept
sysadms have a no_login shell that exits immediately.  I didn't do anything
and there were no messages in the log.  (I think this shell exits with 0.)

You only have to add the line

SHELL=/bin/sh

(or some other shell) to your test .procmailrc before any recipes.  Maybe
that solves your problem.

Obviously you may get a lot of other problems (security)...  :-(

Bye

        robert

--

  Robert Klemme