Re: Multiple Location for Procmail

1997-06-28 07:59:00
Liston Bias <bias(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:
Anyone run procmail from /usr/local/bin?  We have set it up on our system
to run that way in common directory mounted over 15 machines, but it is
set to be our default local mail client.  I am think to just make copies
into /etc on on all machine, but wondered what others have done in similar
situation.

procmail itself couldn't care less where it is installed (it's pretty much self
contained and it doesn't try to remember where formail and friends were
supposed to be since it just uses the PATH for that). So you can move it as
much as you want. Now in order to know whether having procmail NFS mounted is a
good idea or not depends on many things:

- is all your mail received on a single mail-server ?
  if it's the case, then procmail is basically only used on the mail-server,
  so as long as it's local to the mail-server, it's fine.
- what else do you have on NFS ? If you have enough important stuff mounted
  via NFS, then even if procmail is local, receiving mail could be a problem
  when the NFS server is down because of other things missing.

Finally, /etc/is meant for configuration information. If you want procmail to
be local put it in /bin, /usr/sbin, /sbin, /usr/sbin or even /usr/libexec
but NOT in /etc !
(I know that historically, /etc has been used for things like init, reboot,
route and tons of other stuff, but nowadays, sbin is used for that and etc
is solely for configuration files).

        Stefan