Re: Picking Off Sender's Address

1997-07-02 08:40:00
On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, era eriksson wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997 18:25:50 -0400 (EDT), Paul O Bartlett
<pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net> wrote:
 >     This is something that was never clear to me from man procmailrc(5)
 > as to how ! as a "delivery" works.  [...]

Why not test it? I'll volunteer to receive a couple of extra messages
if you need it. (As long as they don't try to sell me something I
don't want ;^)

    Thanks very much for the offer.  At the moment things are going
slowly, so I'm not ready to try testing yet.  It should be no surprise
that there are people struggling to use procmail who can barely spell
Un*x, let alone use it like a guru.*  (The other day somebody responded
that ! as a delivery action was equivalent to such-and-such action with
sendmail.  I appreciated the effort of making the reply, but because I
don't know anything about sendmail, the response was of only marginal
usefulness.)

    The group for this pseudo maillist list project has not yet
colesced, so I am just in the try-to-learn-something and try-to-get-
ready stage, and personal affairs have started slowing it down.  But
thanks again for the offer, and if I do get something working, I'll
post it in appreciation for all the help I've received on the list.

    *(On newsgroup comp.mail.pine, the question of mail filtering comes
up at least once or twice a week from people who can barely send an
intelligible email, but if it appears that the questioner is on a Un*x
system, procmail is almost always given as a response, so there are a
lot of greenhorns out there trying to use it.  And then they try to do
"just a little bit more.")

Paul                             <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP 2.6.2 public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart