Re: subject processing

1997-07-04 04:35:00
On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Eli the Bearded wrote:

Michael Helm <helm(_at_)fionn(_dot_)es(_dot_)net> wrote:
I'm trying to deal with a mailing list that has some subscribers
with problem user mail agents. These prefix the subject with
various junk strings that trip up threading & sorting in conventional
mailers, eg Re[8]: my subject or Sv: My subject or FW: stuff

I hate those stupid numbered subjects. I have considered writing
a nastygram generator that autoresponds to them saying get a real
MUA.

With chronic MUA nasties, I tend to create a filter based first on the
mailer (X-Mailer if available) and act appropriately. Re:[n] is a classic
Cc:Mail addition.

Use perl.

More and more perl -pe is showing up in my recipes. (Speaking of perl: my
friend is the copy editor of the next O'Reilly perl book, "Advanced Perl
Programming", due out this fall. I was unable to extort a copy, but did
manage to get the table of contents. Anyone interested? What am I bid for
this thing? :)

--
revjack(_at_)radix(_dot_)net