subject processing

1997-07-03 18:15:00
I'm trying to deal with a mailing list that has some subscribers
with problem user mail agents. These prefix the subject with
various junk strings that trip up threading & sorting in conventional
mailers, eg Re[8]: my subject or Sv: My subject or FW: stuff
What's worse is that they combine like a genetics experiment:
Often see Re: Re[2]: Sv: FW: nothing
& similarly ugly combinations.

It is a very hi-bandwidth list.  Sorting is mandatory to keep
it at bay.

I can get rid of these junk strings separately, but what I want to
do is process an incoming message until they are *all* gone.
As it stands now I have rules that can get rid of one of these
& that's it.  Like for example

:0 fh
* ^Subject: *((re\-+)|(sv\:+)) *\/.*
| formail -I "Subject: Re: $MATCH"
:0 fh
* ^Subject: *fw\:+ *\/.*
| formail -I "Subject: $MATCH"

What I'd like to do is process the messages recursively until
they stop matching these rules, & then move on, but I've never been
able to figure out how to get procmail to do that.  I'd prefer not
to overload my brain with even more complex regular expression stuff,
gets very difficult to understand or change.  What can I do?

Any suggestions appreciated.