Re: subject processing

1997-07-08 08:42:00
era eriksson <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> wrote:
process(_at_)qz(_dot_)little-neck(_dot_)ny(_dot_)us (Eli the Bearded) wrote:
 >        :0fhw
 >        * SUBPAT ?? \<re\>
 >        | sed "s/^$SUBPAT[  ]*/Subject: Re: /"
This is not necessary, because the proposed condition will match only
if the Subject line has one or more of the strings we're looking for.

But if it matched solely because of a "Fw: " you do not want to
add an "Re: ".

 > There still is the malignant case of stuff like:
 >    Subject: Re[32]: FW: Re: Re[15]: Sv: Re[9]:
 >            Re: Fw: Real Subject
I figured nobody would ever bring this up :-)

I just had a problem with one of my header filters on this. The Subject:
was short enough not to wrap on an 80 column screen, but the line had
been wrapped anyway. This survived my first pass filtering (written in
perl) but not my second pass (vi macro).

Linux has GNU sed, the other two something more or less obscure.
(Alpha probably BSD-ish, SunOS likely of SysV descent, I'd guess?).

I haven't looked at a Digital UNIX in years, but probably BSDish
sounds right. SunOS is very strongly SysVR4 derived.

Elijah
------
Please do not CC me when replying to the list.  It is not my responsibility to
prove to you my mail is not spam, if mail to you bounces it will not be resent.