moving the procmail.log

1997-07-10 07:17:00

I have an account on an ISP that I use for various
purposes, most of which are accomplished via perl
and procmail.  One thing I'm trying to do is minimize
(if not eliminate) my login time on that account.
I have to admit that a lot of what I do is clunky,
but I can't run cron jobs there.

One of the first things in my .procmailrc is a call
to a perl script:

  :0c
  | $HOME/bin/clocker

This checks a flag file to see whether it has already
run today, and if so exits.  If it hasn't, it
changes the flag file and then does a bunch of stuff,
like change a quote of the day page on my website.
I also (AND HERE IS MY QUESTION) have it mail me the
day's procmail.log.  What I do at one point in the
"clocker" script is to rename procmail.log -> procmail.old,
and then I mail the old file to my "real" email address.

Now, this works, but my procmail.logs all start with
the line "Error writing to clocker".  I can live with
that, but is there a better way?

Kevin Kelleher       <kevink(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu>
http://world.std.com/~fury/

"In the absence of Professor Einstein,
I am taking the liberty of replying in his behalf."     - Robert Benchley