Re: Autoresponder use the alias name

1997-07-20 13:52:00
Jeff Halper asked,

| Fred has an aliasname - FredsApplianceStore
|
| We set up an autoresponder to send replies - it is working OK.
|
| If you mail to FredsApplianceStore(_at_)ihot(_dot_)com, we want this to show
up in
| the From header the recipient receives - but the recipient is receiving
| the text from /etc/passwd - the username and email address printed there
| is placed in the "From" header, so they get something like
| Fred Johnson <fred(_at_)ihot(_dot_)com>.
|
| How can the autoresponder be written to show the exact name the mail was
| addressed to and ignore what the /etc/passwd file says?

Among the command line options to formail -rt when you invert the header,
include this:

      -I "From: Fred's Appliance Store
<FredsApplianceStore(_at_)ihot(_dot_)com>"

or
      -I "From: FredsApplianceStore(_at_)ihot(_dot_)com (Fred's Appliance
Store)"

If a From: header is already present, the MTA usually will not add another.
If it does, we're back to the drawing board, I guess.