Re: Mysterious extra character

1997-07-23 07:54:00
Gilbert Laycock <gtl1(_at_)mcs(_dot_)le(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> writes:
Several times a week I get an entry like this in my log file:

From debian-user(_at_)lists(_dot_)debian(_dot_)org  Wed Jul 23 01:29:37 1997
Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940Ultra Wide PCI SCSI Host Adapter
 Folder: list.debian.in                                           1890
 Folder: /home/gtl1/MailIn/mbox.in                                   1

An extra character is written to mbox.in (my DEFAULT mailbox), which
then goes on to cause problems with my mail-reader (which is
Gnus).

Extracting the message from my backup directory, I cannot see anything
unusual about it, but I don't really know what I am looking for. If I
resubmit the message with
 formail -s procmail -m .procmailrc < badmessage
then it works OK.

The -m flag clears the DEFAULT variable, thus explaining why you don't
see it there.  Try resubmitting the message with

        procmail < badmessage

(It's only a single message, so there's no need to split it with formail,
and procmail will use the correct procmailrc by default.)

Philip Guenther