Re: How to forward mail without changing Return-Path?

1997-07-29 10:21:00
Hong Ge Lu <luhg(_at_)cyberway(_dot_)com(_dot_)sg> writes:
When I forward my mail with procmail using ! , I found the Return-Path: is
inconsitence with From: . Th From: keep the same,but the Return-Path: has
been change to the address who do the forwarding.

Yes.  This is actually the Right Thing.  The Return-Path: contains the
'envelope' sender which is where error messages are sent to (i.e., if
the forwarded message bounced, the bounce message would go to the
forwarder address).  This makes sense as if something is wrong with the
address to whom you're forwarding, _you_ need to fix it, not the person
who sent the message being forwarded.

When I use mailx to
replay the mail , The address doing the forward and the old From: both
appear in the To: . I don't want to change anything when I forward mail .
How can I do it ?

The address doing the forward appears in the To: on a reply, because it
appears in the To: of the forwarded message, and mailx is doing a
There are several mailx variables that control whether the 'r' command
is 'reply all' or 'reply just to sender' -- you should possibly toggle
one of those in your .mailrc.  Alternatively, you may want to insert
into your .mailrc the following line:

        alternates address-that(_at_)is(_dot_)doing(_dot_)the(_dot_)forwarding

This'll tell mailx that that address is to be treated just like your
own, and therefore replies will not be sent there unless the 'metoo'
variable is set.

In other words, mailx is the problem here, not procmail.

Philip Guenther