Idiosyncratic Punctuation in Mail

1997-08-17 09:10:00
    I receive, as undoubtedly others do, mailing list postings with
idiosyncratic punctuation, usually where context would tend to indicate
that some sort of quotation mark (single or double, forward or
reverse?) is supposed to be.  I see a lot of these as the hex vaules
0x5ED4, whch come out in ISO-8859-1/Latin-1 (with which I usually read
mail for a reason) as a caret followed by a circumflexed uppercase O
(letter).

    I suspect, although I am not certain, that the sender is using some
kind of idiosyncratic editor in one window with Nut$crape or Internut
Exploder under Windoozy and cut-and-pasting directly into an email
window without first saving it in a standard form, so that as a result
the editor's internal and private punctuation carries over into the
mail.  When I pointed that out (politely) to one person, his response
was "Yeah, yeah, I really should do it the right way," and proceded to
keep on doing it the lazy way.

    Has anybody come up with a recipe to filter this garbage into
something standard, like ISO-8859-1?

Thanks.
Paul                             <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP 2.6.2 public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart