Re: Modifying message, continuing as normal

1997-08-20 01:09:01
Matt Armstrong writes on 19 August 1997 at 14:13:20
[...]
* the enriched2plain utility was posted to this list a week ago by
  DanS(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com

while I posted the code to this list, the correct reference is RFC1523
"The text/enriched MIME Content-type".

No more enriched/text!  Next step is to send an auto-reply reminding
the sender that they annoy most everyone who gets their message.  I'll

this is starting to get off the topic of "procmail" itself...but,
since you are going to be using "procmail" to send your
auto-replies... :-)

Please consider two things
   * a lot of auto-replies only serve to upset people by flooding them
     with "useless" mail.  I've got my system set up to limit
     auto-replies to at most once every three days (once/week when I'm
     on vacation).  You also need to take the "usual steps" to
     minimize mail-loops and the like.

   * technically, it is mostly *your* problem that you can't deal with
     MIME's text/enriched.  The date on RFC1523 is Sept-1993, almost
     four years ago; plenty of time to update your MUA.  And even
     "dumb" ASCII terminals can do bold/underlining/highlighting.  If
     you want to solve your problem using a filter in procmail rather
     than a different MUA, that's fine; but I'd think twice about an
     auto-reply.

   Dan
------------------- message is author's opinion only ------------------
J. Daniel Smith <DanS(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com>
http://www.bristol.com/~DanS
Bristol Technology B.V.                   +31 33 450 50 50, ...51 (FAX)
Amersfoort, The Netherlands               {info,jobs}(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com