Re: locking the logfile -- how to?

1997-08-23 05:38:14
On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, W. Wesley Groleau x4923 wrote:

:> someone mentioned locking the procmail log file, so it won't be overwritten
:> -- or rather, _inter_written.
:>
:> How is this done? (use small words, please, it's been a long week).
:
:I'm sure someone will answer the question directly, but
:personally, I find great benefit in having a separate log
:file per message, because when I want to see why a message
:is not handled the way I want, I can easily find its log
:entries.

In order to read the logs more efficiently, I do several
things:

1) Suspected spam gets a "! " written to the log file first,
   followed by $MATCH.

2) "whitelist" mail gets a "* " written to the log file.

3) I then view the logs with a brief perl script I wrote
that highlights different lines in ansi color. "! " lines
are in red, "* " are green, procmail program messages are in
blue. It also appends a newline to the action lines,
separating the entries a bit.

This makes it real easy to see what's going on in the log
file at a glance. I also delete the log file after viewing.

--
revjack(_at_)radix(_dot_)net