Re: Setting permissions for /bin/ksh

1997-08-29 08:39:13
On Fri, Aug 29, 1997 at 01:01:28PM +0000, That Funky Chick wrote:
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Really? :)

I know how to do that--my question is whether this is safe to do.  Being
relatively inexperienced with Linux/Unix, I'm concerned that giving global
access to ksh might be a security problem (you would think a tiny mail
server like mine wouldn't be noticed, but I've actually had an attempt at
mail relaying here...)

/bin/ksh *has* to be executable. It is a shell and it needs to executable
for it to be of any use. Security concerns arise depending on *who* runs
it. Here is my ls -l /bin/ksh on Solaris 2.5

-r-xr-xr-x   2 bin      bin        180816 May  2  1996 /bin/ksh

i.e. it has to be 'x' for user/group/world.

If you see a 's' instead of a 'x' in the above perms, you are in for some
fun, though!

All help much appreciated as usual.  I feel like I should make brownies for
this group, or buy you a case of beer...

Sounds good!

Vikas