Re: Credit card processing

1997-08-29 12:51:10
(Redirected by atco <rcard(_at_)atco-usa(_dot_)com>)
Lane Wyrick <lane(_at_)avalon(_dot_)net> asked about getting the ability to
sell with credit card payments and:

   what's the difference/benefits between having one of the
   electronic machines vs. the carbon slider thingies.

I don't think any bank or service will accept paper today -- you
have to have some electronics to run in the card.  An on-line
printer is another $250 to buy, if I remember right, and is a must
if your volume is moderate, IMHO.

We run a retail store and some days half our revenue comes from
credit cards.  It is extra work and I don't like giving up all the
percentage points and fees, but money is money.

Somebody wondered why all the paperwork to get accepted.  I just
switched banks after a hard sell and had to give the new bank tons
of financials to keep our VISA,MC,AMEX,Discover service that the
old bank hooked up with a telephone call just a few years ago.
Apparently too many people found out how easy it is to create a
little immediate cash in your bank account by typing in a few
numbers on the Verifone box!  Also, they hate operations that are
taking telephone orders -- they want you to see and handle the
card.  If not, they need to know the size of your grandmother's
little toe.

The WEVA deal sounds great.  I wasn't aware of it.  If I hadn't
just gone thru hell and high water to switch over (my AMEXs are
still being deposited at the old bank, oh well) I'd pursue it!

Carlile Crutcher, Video Kitchen, Louisville KY