Finding the right Received header

1997-09-05 11:27:19
I really screwed up this one.

Mail coming into our internal network gets several relays before it gets
to a desktop.  I wanted to catch the point from which each message entered
our site.

So I want only the Received header in which "by" is our gateway.  Thus:

:0fhw
| (print "$LOGFILE: $(egrep '^Received.*by gw1.hughes-defense-comm.com via')")
Entrance

This worked, as far as the file "Entrance" is concerned.

BUT all messages since I put that in have no headers at all when the get
to the in-box.  (Except for procmail's "From foo(_at_)bar")  I know it has
something to do with stdout, but I'm not sure what to do.  ('tee' ?)

This was really an intermediate step, to look at a lot of such headers to
see whether the format is consistent enough to use $MATCH for the IP
address of the last outside host.

The third step is to use that IP address as input to a program that will
return the complaint address (or other info) appropriate for that host.