Re: Subscribe trouble

1997-09-14 09:56:01
"Alan V. Shackelford" <alan_s(_at_)shaknet(_dot_)clark(_dot_)net> writes:
A person named Terry Todd posted a couple of messages concerning trouble
subscribing from the Subject: line. On my end, the strangest thing
happened. The headers of the messages he sent showed that the messages
were to/from tlt(_at_)shaknet(_dot_)clark(_dot_)net(_dot_) Shaknet is my
machine, and Todd does
not have an account here. What is going on? The headers are included below
for your information:

This would happen if the message sent via SMTP had unqualified
addresses.  Your machine would then assume they were local.  You can
confirm this by checking your sendmail logs (if you keep them long
enough) for his incomming request (search on the ID that appears in the
"from=<tlt>", then it's confirmed.

If this is problem, then it's his machine which is broken.  Sending
unqualified names is a violation of the SMTP spec.

Philip Guenther