Re: Subscribe trouble

1997-09-14 18:55:19
Terry,
   No problem here. I have seen all kinds of crazy things happen as we
push the system farther and farther. I was curious what could cause this
to happen, and have gotten some good replies. It seems that since you were
logged in to the local system there, your mail went out without a complete
return address, and my mail reader (pine) or my sendmail tried to help me
out by adding my host and domain to your name. It was very starnge looking
to me, as this is a small home system with only about a dozen or so
accounts.

The smartlist list seems to be a low volume list, but it is working fine
here. I get a couple of posts a day. One fellow recently posted a question
in the procmail list asking if smartlist was dead, but I think it is
healthy, just not very busy.

Anyway, don't worry about causing me any trouble. I cause so much for
myself that you would have to work all day to make a big difference.

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Terry Todd wrote:

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 20:26:43 -0500 (CDT)
From: Terry Todd <tlt(_at_)badger(_dot_)tltodd(_dot_)com>
To: alan_s(_at_)shaknet(_dot_)clark(_dot_)net, guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu
Cc: procmail(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
Subject: Re: Subscribe trouble

It seems my question (I only posted one question) to the SmartList
mailing list has created quite stir on the procmail mailing list.
It's curious that it has done absolutely nothing on the SmartList
mailing list.  I think I have the answers to why your mail is
getting messed up by the question I posted.  My address is
tlt(_at_)tltodd(_dot_)com(_dot_)  However I was experimenting with subscribing
to a new list I created for a friend.  I was subscribing as
myself on my local machine.  The log file and request file
show me attempting to do this as just plain 'tlt' on my local
system.  All fine so far.  When your mail readers try and
interpret the log file and request file pieces I attached it
looks like they had a hard time figuring out that was part of
the body of my message and not another mail header.  Sorry for
the problems but I don't think it's anything wrong I have done here.
I posted the snippets out of those files to help debug the problem
I am having.  The problem is SmartList is subscribing when the word
subscribe is in the body but fails when the word subscribe is on
the Subject: line.

Terry Todd
tlt(_at_)tltodd(_dot_)com

One net to rule them all, one net to find them, one net to bring them all
and using Unix bind them.             alan_s(_at_)shaknet(_dot_)clark(_dot_)net
*Stamp out Spam...Boycott companies who use unsolicited commercial email*