Re: redelivery - problem?

1997-09-19 21:04:15
Sean Straw asked,

| Occasionally, I end up with a message that doesn't deliver properly (say, a
| rule isn't quite right, and the message falls through).  I fix the problem,
| then run:

|       procmail -d username < messagefile

| FTR, I happen to be running this while logged in as username.

If you are logged in as that user, you don't have to use the -d switch.

       procmail < messagefile

should be enough.

| Seems to me that in the past, this has worked wonderfully.  Now, it appears
| to deliver okay, but procmail just sits there holding up the terminal
| instead of completing.  Any idea why?

Maybe it's waiting for a lockfile.  Maybe there's a problem with the TRAP (we
told you to leave "sleep 86400" out of the trap).  If nothing else, you can
free up the terminal by running procmail in the background (I often do):

      procmail < messagefile &

because there's nothing procmail should have to do that would require the
foreground.

| ...  I ran the process no less than five times before realizing that the
| message was in fact being delivered, but that procmail simply wasn't
| terminating.

This sounds like a job for a verbose logfile, Sean.