Re: Lyons is right: Biow's a bozo

1997-09-29 14:41:23
This is all complete drivel; take it elsewhere, preferably /dev/null

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, David W. Tamkin wrote:
I wrote to Biow, using his bypass word in the subject, to tell him what he
did, and guess what: his bypass word didn't work and I got the whole thing
back with the same "guilty-until-proven-innocent" rejection.

So yes, Biow is a bozo.  I pity what digest-mode readers of this list will
receive until he is kicked off.

On the mailing list I run there is a zero-tolerance policy for rejecting
list distributions as suspected spam.  Do it once and you are gone.  Most
such idiots don't give bypass words (though Biow is the first I've encoun-
tered who gave a bypass word and then didn't honor it) and many use much
ruder language than Biow did; when I tell them why they are dropped from the
list, I usually get another "you dirty spammer" letter back.

One did reply, saying "the computer made a mistake."  I told him that his
computer did exactly what he programmed it to do.  That infuriated him and
he replied with a flame against me (for thinking that humans program com-
puters) and the list (which he had never seen; even if he does store sus-
pected spam for examination, his "you dirty spammer" was an autoreply to the
welcome letter for new list members, and he had never been sent any actual
list content).

Just a few more examples of why whitelisting is a shortsighted move and a bad
policy.  It is one thing to give extra priority to mail from known friends;
it is quite another to assume that all unrecognized senders are spammers.

DWT