use of mail@ address

1997-09-30 10:29:32

So, I've been filing all mailer-daemon addresses, and found that some
meathead chose to use mail(_at_)somedomain as his address.

My question - less specifically related to procmail (other than the fact
that the procmail regexp sees the address as a daemon) than general mail
handling, is "should people be discouraged from using such an address in a
non-daemon role?"

My belief is that the address should be relegated to daemon use (or at
least, a mail authority role).  Too many mail filtering recipes have rules
in them for "if not from daemon," since daemon messages are often bounces
and delayed delivery notifications.

I refuse to make any special cases for this one person's (IMHO) ill-chosen
address.  His messages will continue to filter out as a daemon message
until he changes his address.

Thoughts?

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395