Re: uses of whitelisting

1997-09-30 10:42:59

The difference between a goldlist and a whitelist is this: if mail fails to
match a goldlist, the recipient's mind is still open about it, and it is ei-
ther accepted at lower priority or examined further.  But if mail fails to
match a whitelist, it is deemed undesirable for that reason alone and treated
the same as if it had matched a blacklist.

By these definitions, I agree that "goldlisting" is OK and "whitelisting"
is not OK.  But I suspect I am not the only one who commonly uses the
coined term "whitelist" for what you call a "goldlist".