which color is which

1997-09-30 11:37:22
W. Wesley Groleau said,

| By these definitions, I agree that "goldlisting" is OK and "whitelisting"
| is not OK.  But I suspect I am not the only one who commonly uses the
| coined term "whitelist" for what you call a "goldlist".

Of course this discussion will be smoother if we can agree on terms.  All
right, then; what is your word for what I have called a "whitelist"?

My understanding came from the first place I saw the word, which was on this
list; I cannot recall who the poster was, but he or she was speaking in terms
of contrasting whitelisting to blacklisting, so I took it that the two were
different approaches to identifying spam: blacklisting for a spam-if approach
and whitelisting for a spam-unless perspective.  "Whitelist," for me, con-
jures an image of a bouncer protecting a celebrity from the public, holding
a list written on white paper and allowing through only those whose names are
on it; the general public are just as unwelcome as known enemies and turned
away identically without further consideration (such as querying why they've
come and what they want).

I'm not married to the terms I've been using, but so far the people who say
"whitelist" for what I call a "goldlist" have supplied no term at all for
what I call a "whitelist".  I certainly can't switch to their set of terms
if it has no word for the very thing I'm discussing.  And it does need a
term: Bill Evans, for example, just told us that he does that very thing.