Processing a digests

1997-09-30 11:54:27

I don't do this enough to remember.

In my normal mail processing, I archive some messages using:

   #- keep archive copy of messages from this list
   :0c:
   *^From.*list_name
   | gzip -fc >> list_name.gz

(BTW - Is this a good way to do my archiving?)

Now, I want to do a bit of processing on this list.  I write a procmail
file called local_rc to do the processing.  So, if I remember correctly, I
can do this to extract all the messages and feed it to procmail using
"local_rc" as the recipe file.

   gzip -cd list_name | formail -s procmail ./local_rc

(Actually, I'll be calling this from within a perl script.)

Now, my question:

I don't want anything delivered to my inbox (I've already seen all the
messages in "list_name").  So, in the local_rc should I set

   ORIGMAIL=$HOME/local_rc_error

or some such file to collect anything that slips through my local_rc
recipes or if something in the recipe bombs procmail.

The other problem I'm concerned about is, what if I type by mistake:

   gzip -cd list_name | formail -s procmail ./local_rx

Since "local_rx" doesn't exist, procmail will just deliver ALL the messages
in the archive to my inbox.  Is there a way to protect against this?

Procmail won't use the default .procmailrc in the above case, will it?

Thanks,

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com