Re: echo vs. cat

1997-10-02 07:34:53
W. Wesley Groleau x4923 writes on 2 October 1997 at 08:20:47

I have seen a lot of examples that use 'echo', i.e.,

  :0
  * condition
  | echo "first line of message" ; \
    echo "second ..." et cetera

I started out with spam.rc from "ariel"  which got me into the habit of

  :0
  * condition
  | cat file_containing_message

although I note that spam.rc did have one recipe using the echo method.

What are the reasons for choosing each method over the other?

I tend to go with the "echo" scheme, in spite of editing difficulties:
   * don't have dependency on an external file - it's all in my
     .procmailrc file
   * easier to use variables I set in procmail - $SUBJECT, $SENDER, etc.

   Dan
------------------- message is author's opinion only ------------------
J. Daniel Smith <DanS(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com>
http://www.bristol.com/~DanS
Bristol Technology B.V.                   +31 33 450 50 50, ...51 (FAX)
Amersfoort, The Netherlands               {info,jobs}(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com