My SPAM-filtering .procmailrc

1997-10-03 07:50:14
Hi, all!

I don't know if this is already common knowledge, but I have just
discovered an effective rule for separating SPAM from the rest of my
e-mail.  Just substitute your username for `gord' in the line below:

# Anything which is not addressed to me is probably SPAM.
:0:
* !^TO.*gord
mail.spam.spool

A couple of notes:

1) This only works because I handle all mailing list addresses above
that point in my .procmailrc (i.e. all traffic that arrives from
mailing lists that I am subscribed to goes into other folders).  Most
SPAMmers seem to do it nowadays by sending mail via mailing lists,
rather than creating huge `To' lists of users.

2) Unfortunately, the one bit of legitimate e-mail that is blocked is
things that are sent to me via `bcc: gord'.  That's one reason why I
don't send the mail into /dev/null.

3) I have tried bouncing these mails, or sending them to /dev/null,
but it is just not worth my time.  Some SPAM software takes any sort
of reply (even a `REMOVE' reply) as a request for more information.
Bouncing to /dev/null means I don't have a chance to read the subject
lines, in the offhand chance that one piece is actually relavent.

4) Please limit the distribution of this rule to people who will use
it for good.  I am not interested in tipping off SPAM software
creators to start addressing all their mail to me personally.  Thanks!

Please CC me if you have any comments or enhancements to this
basic approach, as I'm not on this mailing list.

Have fun,

--
  Gord Matzigkeit   | Proudly running pieces of the GNU operating system.
 gord(_at_)m-tech(_dot_)ab(_dot_)ca  |  Jacques Cousteau loved programming in