Re: NFS

1997-10-02 20:26:02
On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, James L. McGill wrote:
Will there be a problem using procmail to deliver to files that
are mounted via NFS, and with the possibilty that multiple instances
of sendmail will be calling multiple instances of procmail to deliver
to the same file which is exported to the several SMTP servers?
[ ... ]
"     Procmail is NFS-resistant and eight-bit clean."
which makes me frown... That could be taken to mean,
I can expect no problems at all using procmail over NFS...
Or it could mean,
"Procmail resists being used across NFS, avoid it at all costs :-)"

Doesn't give me warm fuzzies either. :-)

If you're really concerned about mailbox locking, go to a scheme that
doesn't require locks, such as "Maildir". QMail supports it out of the
box, and procmail currently has patches to support it. Most MUAs are
getting patches now for Maildir-format mailboxes (Pine has a patch for
native support, Mutt supports it out-of-the-box, and Elm has a number of
wrapper scripts).

For more information, take a look at http://www.qmail.org/ , in the
section regarding Maildir.

--
_/ __ \  ___//     \  Edward S. Marshall <emarshal(_at_)logic(_dot_)net>

[  Are you a spammer looking for a great opportunity to be blacklisted? Then  ]
[ have your automatic bots email spam(_at_)logic(_dot_)net and secure a spot on
my list! ]