Re: "Decent people"

1997-10-09 22:45:41
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 13:02:47 PDT
From: bobw(_at_)lore(_dot_)kla-tencor(_dot_)com (Bob Weissman)
To: procmail(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
Subject: "Decent people" (was Re: Spamford's back on line)

On Oct 7,  9:15pm -0700, ftilley(_at_)goodnet(_dot_)com (Felix Tilley) wrote:

I have trashed messages from hotmail and juno for several months.  I have
never deleted a genuine message.  Decent people do not get accounts with
these "services"

Without starting a discussion of decency, I assure you that "decent"
people *do* indeed use these services. I personally know several people
who need nothing more than a simple email account.  They don't need Unix
or other fancy stuff, and juno and hotmail provide email for free, so
that's what they use.  These are real people, not spammers.  Trashing
everything from these sites may cause you to lose a message from (say)
an old friend trying to reach you.

== Bob

My "old friend" better not be using one of these anonymous email services.
If he does, he gets procmailed to /dev/null.

I repeat:  I have never gotten anything but spam from hotmail, juno, and
rocketmail.

Currently, I am also procmailing the following sites, which everyone agrees
are legitimate sites, not professional spam sites:

gte.net
swbell.net
bellsouth.net
pacbell.net

I periodically un-procmail them, and what do you think happens?  I get
spammed by them, so I put them back in the filter.  When I post my procmail
filter to an internal newsgroup at goodnet.com, I get email telling me that
I am deleting mail from valid email sites.  OK.  When I un-procmail them
and I get no more spam, I will let them through.

These sites are not willing to install software that warns when a user is
sending out gobs of email.  So I send their stuff to /dev/null.

AOL has installed software that warns when one of their users is sending
out enormous amounts of email.  Other sites should do so too.

BTW:  I am a Macintosh user, and I do not speak Eunuchs that well.  Getting
Procmail to work for me has been a real challenge.  But I can sometimes
make it delete a **LOT** of garbage.

Felix Tilley
ftilley(_at_)goodnet(_dot_)com