Re: What is the WHOTO var?

1997-10-13 20:15:02
On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Philip Guenther wrote:
david hunt <dnhunt(_at_)rain(_dot_)org> writes:
WHOTO=friend(_at_)public(_dot_)com|everyone(_at_)your(_dot_)net|nobody(_at_)nowhere(_dot_)mil
I take it the value shown above is purely fictious, though correct
in form.

No, it's literal. In my .procmailrc I do "EXECUTE=`env >> $LOGFILE`"
and have the environment written to the logfile. And that is exactly
what appears, even though I haven't set any WHOTO var. Subsequent to
finding the mysterious WHOTO var, I began unsetting the var in
.procmailrc with no apparent change in operation. I was curious what
this var might control, since the value it had was a list of popular
spam pseudo-destinations.

 Assuming so, it sounds like it's supposed to be the list of
envelope recipients, in which case it's arguably letting you have
information that you shouldn't have.

I doubt if it's envelope recipients, because it appears in the
environment when I send mail to myself.

I would say that it's a
completely local extension to either sendmail, qmail, procmail, or
something else.  Definately something that only your local sysadmins
would know about.

Thanks Philip, for for taking the time to answer my query. I am still
puzzled. Paranoia suggests I unset the var until I learn more about
it.

David