running out of processes (sendmail and/or procmail question)

1997-10-15 09:26:04

Twice in the last few days I have had serious mail problems.

It stemmed from the fact that sendmail was not running for several hours,
and then a lot of mail tried to download at the same time.

I would see things like this:

procmail: Failed forking "formail"
procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded
/bin/sh: fork failed - too many processes

Why is procmail forking so much?

Is it the amount of messages being processed at once?  If so, how can I limit
this?

I use a global lockfile on my .procmailrc -- could that be making it worse?

(Is there a way to adjust sendmail to help alleviate this problem?)

Any suggestions appreciated

TjL