Re: why did this match?

1997-10-20 08:21:48
Era Eriksson suggested to Timothy Luoma,

| Put the relevant parts of your .procmailrc in a new .rc file, save the
| offending message to a file, run it through the new .rc file with
| VERBOSE=yes, and take a deep breath.

Timothy knows which condition matched and which line in the head matched it.
What he needs to find out is which alternative in the condition's regexp
matched the line.  A verbose log will tell him only which condition matched,
and that is something he already knows.

| Fun hypothesis: your humongous regex contains something like
| firsthalf||secondhalf somewhere in it

If that were the case, it would be catching ALL of Timothy's incoming mail
that got that far in his .procmailrc.

My next guess: is there a condition that tries to look for "-0600 (EST)" as
a phony timestamp but in fact will match on "-0600" regardless of the mne-
monic?  That line was timestamped "-0600 (MDT)", which, though it doesn't
guarantee legitimacy of the message, certainly is a real timezone [Mountain
Daylight Time, six hours behind UTC].

Oh, this will be fun come Sunday, when my timezone changes to "-0600 (CST)"
[Central Standard Time, also six hours behind UTC], and all the overeager
spam detectors out there will start rejecting all the mail I send.  Fun, fun,
fun.