Re: Problems with (Returned mail: Data format error)

1997-10-20 09:45:40
"Matthew G. Saroff" <msaroff(_at_)pca(_dot_)net> writes:
      I bounce mail to an email only address.  From the headers, I have
(I think)gleaned that the target address is choking on 8-bit ascii
(headers follow).
      Right now the action that I am taking is:
!newaddress(_at_)newaddress(_dot_)
      I am assuming that by using formail, I could forward and screen
out the 8-bit text.  Does anyone have the recipe for this?

Are you sending a message with 8bit data in the body that isn't marked as
such with MIME headers:

If so, then the remote gateway has the right to refuse it right then
and there.  If you are labeling it then your mail server may be able to
encode it for you (sendmail 8.7 and later will do this).

Alternatively, your user agent may be able to do the encoding.  I know
some MUAs have a configuration option on whether to send 8bit data, or
encode it to 7bit before sending.  If yours has that, try changing it.

Philip Guenther