The 'W' flag and its usage [philip Guenther]

1997-10-20 11:41:04
        Hi Phil,

        I have an article snippet from Philip Guenther, where he
        explained the W in conjunction with c flag like this,
        if I remember correct. When I added the Lint code to
        the Emacs module, I used this as "redundant" criteria.

        Q: Have I understood right? Can Wc: always be expressed with c:?

        jari

[exerpt]
        Let me also explain why the ' is so important. Notice, that the two
        here are equivalent. The ' here is implicit.

            :0 c: somefile      :0 Wc: somefile

        To quote the comment in source code, "try and protect the user from
        his blissful ignorance".  The parent will always wait for the
        cloned child to exit when a lockfile is involved. The only question
        is whether or not it should be logged. If you want failure of the
        cloned child to be logged, then you should use the ' flag, ala:

            :0 wc: somefile
            { ... }