Procmail and Netscape - locking & filtering

1997-10-22 10:21:20
You may be aware of the lack of locking performed by Netscape when
operating directly (ie not via POP or IMAP servers) on mail folders on
Unix systems. If procmail and Netscape trip over each other, the result
can be either a loss of messages or Netscape crashing.

I believe Netscape Mozilla 3.0 can be setup to filter on any field, but
4.0 can only filter on the fields known in the GUI
(sender/subject/body/date/priority/status/to/cc/to_or_cc). My workaround
(seeing I use Mozilla 4) is to use procmail to identify where it should
go and insert a comment into the To: field which the Netscape Mozilla
filters can utilise.

DESTINATION="`formail -x To: `"

and then the outcome of recipes can be something like:

| formail  -I "To: $DESTINATION (autofile:spam)"

and a Netscape filter targets the To: field with autofile:spam as the
key.

    Mike.

--
 Mike de Laine        Technical Support, Innosoft International, Inc.

        "Each success only buys an admission ticket
        to a more difficult problem" - HAK