Re: Best anti-spam-filter tests?

1997-11-03 21:27:41
On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, John Gianni wrote:

I simply asked if you knew better ways to "manufacture" spam tests to
send to _myself_ so I could test _my_ filters.

I proposed, essentially, two methods that currently work:
 a) Creating a test file (header & body); then, sending it to myself
    (using formail & procmail) to test if my filter catches the test.
 b) Creating a new message, header & body, thru interactive commands
    to sendmaili, to test if my filter catches the test.

I don't know of a better way than telneting to your SMTP port and
quickly typing something which your filter should catch.  I just did
this eight times to test a cranky filter.

For those who wish to do this but know not how, I include a quick
overview.

telnet smtp.server.name 25

RSET
(Expect 250)

HELO spud.org
(Expect 250, check for DNS)

RSET
(Expect 250)

MAIL FROM:<spud(_at_)spud(_dot_)org>
(Expect 250)

RCPT TO:<first-recipient(_at_)site(_dot_)edu>
(Expect 250)
RCPT TO:<second-recipient(_at_)site(_dot_)edu>
(Expect 250)
(etc)

DATA
(Expect 354)