Re: Best anti-spam-filter tests?

1997-11-04 03:48:08
On Mon, 3 Nov 1997 12:59:37 -0800, jjg(_at_)Cadence(_dot_)COM (John Gianni)
wrote:
Still, any test method that actually causes me to receive _more_ spam
than I already do, is unacceptable -- (unless there is a perfect spam
filter, in which case it wouldn't matter how much spam I received.)

In this case, there is. Anything that comes From
spam-list-owner(_at_)hiss(_dot_)han(_dot_)de From: spam-list is by default
spam. If
your own filter catches it, fine. If it doesn't, save it to a folder
outside of your quota and take a look at the missed items when you
have time to tweak your filters.

On a different note, I frankly don't see any need to forge mail to
yourself over SMTP when you can just feed it to Procmail at the
prompt.

 $ procmail  # okay, start typing
From moo
From: moo(_at_)bar(_dot_)com
To: jjg(_at_)cadence(_dot_)com
Date: Your place or mine?
Subject: Your >>>>>>>>>FREE <<<<<<<<< aiolipile

Free aiolipile ono $4.95 !!!!!!!!!1!
^D
 $

If you do this a lot, keeping test messages on file somewhere makes
sense, as does setting up LOGFILE and friends differently when
Procmail is run interactively (like, don't set LOGFILE and set
VERBOSE=yes to get verbose logging on standard error). Modularizing
your rc files also starts making sense at some point.

/* era */

--
 Paparazzi of the Net: No matter what you do to protect your privacy,
  they'll hunt you down and spam you. <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam/>