Re: \/ is not the same as ()\/

1997-11-18 23:20:32
On Tue, 18 Nov 1997 12:48:03 -0600 (CST), "David W. Tamkin"
<dattier(_at_)miso(_dot_)wwa(_dot_)com> wrote:
Era Eriksson read Philip Guenther's explanation and asked,
| Then why does this also grab only two lines?
| :0B
| * ()\/$.*$.*$
| { LOG=" d |$MATCH| d " }
| And/or why isn't this leading newline logged?
Philip has already answered the question, but I'd like to supply an answer
from a different perspective:

I understand the explanation, but my main question about this is,
isn't it just a bit too cheesy? I'd call it a bug, even if it can be
explained.

/* era */

(If one actually wanted to match a literal newline, how would that be
accomplished?)

--
 Paparazzi of the Net: No matter what you do to protect your privacy,
  they'll hunt you down and spam you. <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam/>